Saturday, February 10, 2007

Customer handling in fast paced growth market??

This refers to a visit today to one of the top notch Telecom companies' shop. The experience can be summed up to one word 'Unbelievable'.

As we entered I saw a young couple on the only operating counter (the second one was closed) and a middle aged guy on the payment counter. Thinking that I am at right time, I was ecstatic about the timing. Turned out that the shop services close at 8.00 PM sharp. No probs but with Sunday option cancelled I was more than disappointed since I had lost my opportunity.

" I have spend 16000 bucks dammit and that's why I want it NOW" was the outburst of the girl as she was trying to control her boy(friend). He was more than angry, quite visible through his impatient actions. She banged the box (mobile packing box) and demanded to see a superior. I was thinking is this right? Spending hell lot of money and losing peace of mind???

A '23'ish guy walks out and claims to be the in charge of the facility. He listens first but then confuses the air around. As he shouts " turn off the lights" I can see the spectacled service agent frustrated with the situation though trying to be professional.

On the second counter I could hear everything crystal clear coz the volume was abnormally high pitched. " You freshers are not responsible but you are the ones who are made to sit on the counters and you get all the customer frustration. I had showed it earlier and you cant solve my case??" He was damn angry. Again I was sceptical of buying a service from this telecom giant ready to enter new market technology.

India is shining and with it is coming technological advancements in everyone's life. People are getting more and more busy at work and quality time is a new term. An urge of getting everything sooner than earlier is developing, since its the need of the hour in a fiercely competitive market. The settings are no more the only thing that people are attracted towards and they want real products and they are spending money for that ( Remember your autowala getting down with the latest handset??).

I was feeling sad, angry and empathized with the customers and I wonder why? I remember I have faced it twice with Globally Indian companies. Why do we suffer? May be because we don't drag the ill-treating companies to courts and they have their share of story to tell. No matter what the customer should not be made to pay the price. Make him feel special and he would help your business grow is the mantra. Anybody listening??

1 comment:

Mad Scientist said...

two things: consumer awareness and improve working of consumer courts. they can spell out a possible solution.